Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wait for iPad 2?

I love my iPhone, but I use it almost exclusively as a computer rather than a phone. I'm considering getting an iPad, mainly for the larger screen, but I'm wondering if I should hold out for an iPad 2, rumored to be coming in April.

I have this habit of buying Apple products shortly before they get replaced with a better model (and usually get cheaper too). Case in point:
  • A month or so after I bought a 5th generation iPod classic 60 GB, Apple replaced it with an 80 GB model and dropped the price $50.
  • About a year later, my wife bought a 5th generation iPod classic 80 GB. Soon afterwards, Apple introduced the 6th generation iPod, with a 160 GB model for the same price as the previous 80 GB model.
  • Earlier this year, I ordered a Macbook Pro. The day after I opened the box (I'm not kidding), Apple announced a new model with a better processor, screen, and hard drive. Fortunately, in this case I was able to convince Apple to let me swap for the newer one, even though they don't normally let you do that once you open the box.
Surprisingly, the iPhone 4 didn't come out until almost a year after I got my iPhone 3Gs, so I feel like I did okay there (even through the 3Gs got a lot cheaper). I don't feel a compelling need to upgrade to the iPhone 4, especially given the reception problems people were having.

The one feature of the iPad 2 that I consider worth waiting for is the camera (front and rear), which the current model doesn't have. It's not that expect to make heavy use of the cameras, but I'd like the option of doing so without having to replace the iPad or buy an camera add-on kit. Other features that might be there are a USB connector, lighter weight, and a faster processor.

So, will Santa bring me an iPad or an IOU for an iPad 2? We'll see.

-- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment