Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Comcast responds

Comcast's web site allows you to submit feedback, so on Sunday evening I used that to send Comcast a link to my previous blog entry. I figured if they were going to try to retain me, I'd rather hear from them before I actually switched than afterwards.

I was impressed to hear from Mary in the Executive Support Office the next morning. She had read the blog posting, so she was familiar with the details. She said that some of the local offices aren't familiar with all of the available promotions, and not surprisingly, she offered me the same deal that I was originally offered in the mailing.

However, even with that promotional rate, I would be paying at least $50 more per month that I'm going to be paying for comparable U-verse service (with higher internet bandwidth from U-verse). The Comcast package includes HBO, which I won't be getting from U-verse, but I don't have HBO now and don't want it, and Comcast couldn't drop that from their package to reduce the rate.

I explained to Mary that I couldn't really consider staying with Comcast if I was going to have pay that much more, but other than offering me a $10/month credit for a few months, she couldn't do anything to get a better rate. Mary told me to call her if I changed my mind, or decided to switch back to Comcast later, and she would give me the best possible rate. She gave me her direct number.

I give Comcast credit for follow up, but they're going to have to be more competitive on pricing, now that we have another option. I imagine Verizon FIOS will be available at some point too, which will make things even more competitive.

Hopefully, I won't be sharing horror stories later about my U-verse installation :-)

-- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment